Brain-Based Social Cognition Laboratory (BBSCL) is a multidisciplinary research lab in the Institute of Behavioral Science in Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, and was founded in 2003 with Prof. Jae-Jim Kim as Director. We focus on discovering the mysteries of the human mind using virtual reality (VR) and functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI).
As a multidisciplinary lab, we are motivated by pressing social issues and human behavior. More than ever, we live in a society where hostility and negativity are pervasive. We study how positive and negative ruminations not only alter heart rate variability but also the brain states. The BBSCL also studies family relationships – specifically, the effects of relationships with parents or with a spouse on the brain. By integrating longitudinal behavior and neuroimaging data, our long-term goal is to develop biomarkers of interpersonal relationships in order to promote healthy family processes.
Research in the BBSCL also studies the psychopathology of psychotic disorders (schizophrenia and delirium) and anxiety disorders (panic disorder, social anxiety disorder, and generalized anxiety disorders). Patients with these disorders often suffer from social impairments and emotional problems that negatively impact the quality of life. We take a systematic approach to evaluate the symptoms, identify the underlying brain abnormalities, and develop personalized treatment programs.
Development of evaluation and training tools using VR:
We have developed and implemented VR programs for a more accurate assessment of each disorder. Our programs evaluate the severity of symptoms, such as social skills and anger management skills for IGD, and hallucination and delusion for schizophrenia. The BBSC Lab also boasts VR programs for evaluating anxiety disorders. In addition, we currently offer several state-of-the-art VR treatment programs tailored for each of the disorders. Programs for social anxiety disorder and acrophobia, in particular, are mobile-based applications to increase availability. In conjunction with VR programs, we have also implemented chatbot technology and VR self-training for patients with panic disorder to provide additional support.
Identification of brain abnormalities using fMRI:
Our researchers seek to investigate the underlying neural bases of cognitive functions that could lead to social and cognitive impairment. We use statistical, computational, and machine learning methods to analyze both task-based activational as well as functional connectivity studies. Our ultimate goal is to map the intricate interactions among brain networks.
Jae-Jin Kim, MD, Ph.D
Professor of Psychiatry
Gangnam Severance Hospital
Department of Psychiatry, Yonsei University College of Medicine
Address: Department of Psychiatry Gangnam Severance Hospital, 211 Eonju-ro, Gangnam-gu, Seoul, Korea 135-720
■ Educational Background
■ Research Experience
■ Major Concerns
■ Professional Society
■ Recent Research Projects
■ Publications on International SCI and SSCI Journals
1. Jang IJ, Shin JG, Shin SG, Kim JJ, Woo JI, Lee YS, Park CW (1991). Assessment of the relationship between plasma nortriptyline concentration and inhibition of salivation: single-dose study. Asia Pac J Pharmacol 6:249-254.
2. Rhi BY, Kwon JS, Lee C, Paik IH, Cho MJ, Lee ZN, Lee JH, Hahn KH, Kim JJ, Han SH, Suk JH, Woo JI (1995). Reliability of the ICD-10 diagnostic criteria for research in mental disorders in the Republic of Korea. Acta Psychiatr Scand 91:341-347.
3. Kim JJ, Andreasen NC, O'Leary DS, Wiser AK, Ponto LLB, Watkins GL, Hichwa RD (1999). Direct comparison of the neural substrates of recognition memory for words and faces. Brain 122:1069-1083.
4. Crespo-Facorro B, Kim JJ, Andreasen NC, O'Leary DS, Wiser AK, Bailey JM, Harris G, Magnotta VA (1999). Human frontal cortex: an MRI-based parcellation method. Neuroimage 10:500-519.
5. Kim JJ, Mohamed S, Andreasen NC, O'Leary DS, Watkins GL, Ponto LLB, Hichwa RD (2000). Regional neural dysfunctions in chronic schizophrenia studied with positron emission tomography. Am J Psychiatry 157:542-548.
6. Kim JJ, Crespo-Facorro B, Andreasen NC, O'Leary DS, Zhang B, Harris G, Magnotta VA (2000). An MRI-based parcellation method for the temporal lobe. Neuroimage 11:271-288.
7. Crespo-Facorro B, Kim JJ, Andreasen NC, O'Leary DS, Magnotta VA (2000). Regional frontal abnormalities in schizophrenia. A quantitative gray matter volume and cortical surface size study. Biol Psychiatry 48:110-119.
8. Crespo-Facorro B, Kim JJ, Andreasen NC, O'Leary DS, Bockholt HJ, Magnotta V (2000). Insular cortex abnormalities in schizophrenia: a structural magnetic resonance imaging study of first-episode patients. Schizophr Res46:35-43.
9. Crespo-Facorro B, Kim JJ, Andreasen NC, Spinks R, O'Leary DS, Bockholt HJ, Harris G, Magnotta VA (2000). Cerebral cortex: a topographic segmentation method using magnetic resonance imaging. Psychiatry Res: Neuroimaging 100:97-126.
10. Kim MS, Kim JJ, Kwon JS (2001). The effect of immediate and delayed word repetition on event-related potential in a continuous recognition task. Cogn Brain Res 11:387-396.
11. Kim MS, Kim JJ, Kwon JS (2001). Frontal P300 decrement and executive dysfunction in adolescents with conduct problems. Child Psychiatry Hum Dev 32:93-106.
12. Kim JJ, Lee MC, Kim JS, Kim IY, Kim SI, Han MH, Chang KH, Kwon JS (2001). Grey matter abnormalities in obsessive-compulsive disorder: statistical parametric mapping of segmented magnetic resonance images. Br J Psychiatry 179:330-334.
13. Kim JJ, Kim MS, Lee JS, Lee DS, Lee MC, Kwon JS (2002). Dissociation of working memory processing associated with native and second languages. Neuroimage 15:879-891.
14. Park HJ, Kwon JS, Youn T, Pae JS, Kim JJ, Kim MS, Ha KS (2002). Statistical parametric mapping of LORETA using high density EEG and individual MRI: Application to mismatch negativities in schizophrenia. Hum Brain Mapp 17:168-178.
15. Youn T, Lyoo IK, Kim JJ, Park HJ, Ha KS, Lee DS, Abrams KY, Lee MC, Kwon JS (2002). Relationship between personality trait and regional cerebral glucose metabolism assessed with positron emission tomography. Biol Psychol 60:109-120.
16. Youn T, Park HJ, Kim JJ, Kim MS, Kwon JS (2002). Altered hemispheric asymmetry and positive symptoms in schizophrenia: equivalent current dipole of auditory mismatch negativity. Schizophr Res 59:253-260.
17. Kwon JS, Kim JJ, Lee DW, Lee JS, Lee DS, Kim MS, Lyoo IK, Cho MJ, Lee MC (2003). Neural correlates of clinical symptoms and cognitive dysfunctions in obsessive-compulsive disorder. Psychiatry Res: Neuroimaging 122:37-47.
18. Park HJ, Kim JJ, Youn T, Lee DS, Lee MC, Kwon JS (2003). Independent component model for cognitive functions of multiple subjects using [15O]H2O images. Hum Brain Mapp 18:284-295.
19. Kim JJ, Crespo-Facorro B, Andreasen NC, O’Leary DS, Magnotta V, Nopoulos P (2003). Morphology of the lateral superior temporal gyrus in neuroleptic naïve patients with schizophrenia: relationship to symptoms. Schizophr Res 60:173-181.
20. Kim JJ, Youn T, Ha KS, Lee JM, Kim IY, Kim SI, Kwon JS (2003). Morphometric abnormality of the insula in schizophrenia: a comparison with obsessive-compulsive disorder and normal control using MRI. Schizophr Res 60:191-198.
21. Kang DH, Kwon JS, Kim JJ, Youn T, Park HJ, Kim MS, Lee DS, Lee MC (2003). Brain glucose metabolic changes associated with neuropsychological improvements after 4 months of treatment in patients with obsessive-compulsive disorder. Acta Psychiatrica Scand 107:291-297.
22. Kim JJ, Kwon JS, Park HJ, Youn T, Kang DH, Kim MS, Lee DS, Lee MC (2003). Functional disconnection between the prefrontal-parietal cortices during working memory processing in schizophrenia: a [15O]H2O PET study.Am J Psychiatry 160:919-923.
23. Yoon U, Lee JM, Kim JJ, Lee SM, Kim IY, Kwon JS, Kim SI (2003). Modified MRI-based parcellation method for cerebral cortex using successive fuzzy clustering and boundary detection. Ann Biomed Eng 31:441-447.
24. Kwon JS, Shin YW, Kim CW, Kim YI, Youn T, Han MH, Chang KH, Kim JJ (2003). Similarity and disparity of obsessive-compulsive disorder and schizophrenia in MR volumetric abnormalities of the hippocampus-amygdala complex. J Neurol Neurosugery Psychiatry 74:962-964.
25. Kim MS, Kang SS, Youn T, Kang DH, Kim JJ, Kwon JS (2003). Neuropsychological correlates of P300 abnormalities in patients with schizophrenia and obsessive-compulsive disorder. Psychiatry Res: Neuroimaging 123:109-123.
26. Ku J, Cho W, Kim JJ, Peled A, Wiederhold BK, Wiederhold MD, Kim IY, Lee JH, Kim SI (2003). A virtual environment for investigating schizophrenic patients’ characteristics: assessment of cognitive and navigation ability. CyberPsychol Behav 6:397-404.
27. Kim JS, Lee JM, Kim JJ, Choe BY, Oh CH, Nam SH, Kwon JS, Kim SI (2003). Non-linear registration for brain images by maximising feature and intensity similarities with a Bayesian framework. Med Biol Eng Comput 41:473-480.
28. Cheon KA, Ryu YH, Namkoong K, Kim CH, Kim JJ, Lee JD (2004). Dopamine transporter density of the basal ganglia assessed with [123I]IPT SPECT in drug-naive children with Tourette's disorder. Psychiatry Res: Neuroimaging 130:85-95.
29. Choi JS, Kang DH, Kim JJ, Ha TH, Lee JM, Youn T, Kim IY, Kim SI, Kwon JS (2004). Left anterior subregion of orbitofrontal cortex volume reduction and impaired organizational strategies in obsessive-compulsive disorder. J Psychiatric Res 38:193-199.
30. Lee JM, Kim SH, Jang DP, Ha TH, Kim JJ, Kim IY, Kwon JS, Kim SI (2004). Deformable model with surface registration for hippocampal shape deformity analysis in schizophrenia. Neuroimage 22:631-640.
31. Lee JM, Yoon U, Kim JJ, Kim IY, Lee DS, Kwon JS, Kim SI (2004). Analysis of the hemispheric asymmetry using fractal dimension of a skeletonized cerebral surface. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 51:1494-1498.
32. Crespo-Facorro B, Nopoulos PC, Chemerinski E, Kim JJ, Andreasen NC, Magnotta V (2004). Temporal pole morphology and psychopathology in males with schizophrenia. Psychiatry Res: Neuroimaging 132:107-115.
33. Crespo-Facorro B, Kim JJ, Chemerinski E, Magnotta V, Andreasen NC, Nopoulos P. (2004). Morphometry of the superior temporal plane in schizophrenia: relationship to clinical correlates. J Neuropsych Clin N 16:284-294.
34. Kim JJ, Lee YJ, Lee DS, Lee MC, Kwon JS (2004). Regional prefrontal abnormalities during working memory in schizophrenia: a topography-based functional activation study. Psychiatry Invest 1:37-43.
35. Kang DH, Kim JJ, Choi JS, Kim YI, Kim CW, Youn T, Han MH, Chang KH, Kwon JS (2004). Volumetric investigation of the frontal-subcortical circuitry in patients with obsessive-compulsive disorder. J Neuropsych Clin N 16:342-349.
36. Kim JJ, Seok JH, Park HJ, Lee DS, Lee MC, Kwon JS (2005). Functional disconnection of the semantic networks in schizophrenia. Neuroreport 16:355-359.
37. Jang DP, Lee JM, Lee E, Park S, Kim JJ, Namkoong K, Yoon KJ, Kim IY, Kim SI. (2005). Interindividual reproducibility of glutamate quantification using 1.5-T proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Magn Reson Med 53: 708-712.
38. Choi JS, Kang DH, Kim JJ, Ha TH, Roh KS, Youn T, Kwon JS (2005). Decreased caudal anterior cingulate gyrus volume and positive symptoms in schizophrenia. Psychiatry Res: Neuroimaging 139:239-247.
39. Lee JS, Lee DS, Kim J, Kim YK, Kang E, Kang H, Kang KW, Lee JM, Kim JJ, Park HJ, Kwon JS, Kim SI, Yoo TW, Chang KH, Lee MC (2005). Development of Korean standard brain templates. J Kor Med Sci 20:483-488.
40. Ku J, Jang HJ, Kim KU, Kim JH, Park SH, Lee JH, Kim JJ, Kim IY, Kim SI (2005). Experimental results of affective valence and arousal to avatar’s facial expressions. CyberPsychol Behav 8:493-503.
41. Kim JW, Kim JJ, Jeong BS, Kee SW, Im DM, Lee SJ, Lee HS (2005). Neural mechanism for judging the appropriateness of facial affect. Cogn Brain Res 25:659-667.
42. Kim SH, Lee JM, Kim HP, Jang DP, Shin YW, Ha TH, Kim JJ, Kim IY, Kwon JS, Kim SI (2005). Asymmetry analysis of deformable hippocampal model using the principal component in schizophrenia. Hum Brain Mapp 25:361-369.
43. Shin YW, Kwon JS, Kim JJ, Kang DH, Youn T, Kang KW, Kang E, Lee DS, Lee MC (2006). Altered neural circuit for working memory before and after symptom provocation in patients with obsessive-compulsive disorder. Acta Psychiatrica Scand 113:420-429.
44. Seok JH, An SK, Lee E, Lee HS, Lee YJ, Jeon JH, Kim JJ (2006). Behavioral evidence of blunted and inappropriate affective responses in schizophrenia: Lack of a ‘negativity bias’. Psychiatry Res 142:53-66.
45. Park HJ, Lee JD, Chun JW, Seok JH, Yun M, Oh MK, Kim JJ (2006). Cortical surface-based analysis of 18F-FDG PET: measured metabolic abnormalities in schizophrenia are affected by cortical structural abnormalities. Neuroimage 31:1434-1444.
46. An SK, Lee E, Kim JJ, Namkoong K, Kang JI, Jeon JH, Seok JH, Choi SH (2006). Greater impairment in negative emotion evaluation ability in patients with paranoid schizophrenia. Yonsei Med J 47:343-353.
47. Jang DP, Kim JJ, Chung TS, An SK, Jung YC, Lee JK, Lee JM, Kim IY, Kim SI (2006). Shape deformation of the insula in schizophrenia. Neuroimage 32:220-227.
48. Lee E, Kim JJ, Namkoong K, An SK, Seok JH, Lee YJ, Kang JI, Choi JH, Hong T, Jeon JH, Lee HS (2006). Aberrantly flattened responsivity to emotional pictures in paranoid schizophrenia. Psychiatry Res 143:135-145.
49. Jung YC, An SK, Seok JH, Kim JS, Oh SJ, Moon DH, Kim JJ (2006). Neural substrates associated with evaluative processing during co-activation of positivity and negativity: a PET investigation. Biol Psychol 73:253-261.
50. Ku J, Jang HJ, Kim KU, Park SH, Kim JJ, Kim CH, Nam SW, Kim IY, Kim SI (2006). Pilot study for assessing the behaviors of patients with schizophrenia towards a virtual avatar. CyberPsychol Behav 9: 531-539.
51. Kim DJ, Park HJ, Kang KW, Shin YW, Kim JJ, Moon WJ, Chung EC, Kim IY, Kwon JS, Kim SI (2006). How does distortion correction correlate with anisotropic indices? A diffusion tensor imaging study. Magn Reson Imaging24:1369-1376.
52. Lee JD, Park HJ, Park ES, Kim DG, Rha DW, Kim EY, Kim DI, Kim JJ, Yun M, Ryu YH, Lee J, Jeong JM, Lee DS, Lee MC, Park CI (2007). Assessment of regional GABAA receptor binding using 18F-fluoroflumazenil positron emission tomography in spastic type cerebral palsy. Neuroimage 34:19-25.
163. Park S, Na SH, Oh J, Lee JS, Oh ST, Kim JJ, Park JY (2018). Pain and anxiety and their relationship with medication doses in the intensive care unit. J Crit Care 47:65-69.
164. Kim SJ, Hong YJ, Kim MW, Jung YH, Min SR, Kim JJ (2019). Inflexible eye fixation pattern in schizophrenia affecting decision-making on daily life. Psychiatry Res 274:414-420.
165. Eom H, Kim KK, Lee S, Hong YJ, Heo J, Kim JJ, Kim E (2019). Development of virtual reality continuous performance test utilizing social cues for children and adolescents with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Cyberpsychol Behav Soc Netw 22(3):198-204.
166. Kim ES, Hong YJ, Kim M, Kim EJ, Kim JJ (2019). Relationship between self-esteem and self-consciousness in adolescents: An eye-tracking study. Psychiatry Investig 16(4):306-313.
167. Oh J, Ham J, Cho D, Park JY, Kim JJ, Lee B (2019). The effects of transcranial direct current stimulation on the cognitive and behavioral changes after electrode implantation surgery in rats. Front Psychiatry 10:291.
168. Hong YJ, Park S, Kyeong S, Kim JJ (2019). Neural basis of professional pride in the reaction to uniform wear. Front Hum Neurosci 13:253.
169. Oh J, Shin JE, Yang KH, Kyeong S, Lee WS, Chung TS, Kim JJ (2019) Cortical and subcortical changes in resting-state functional connectivity before and during an episode of postoperative delirium. Aust N Z J Psychiatry 53:794-806.
170. Kyeong S, Eom H, Kim MK, Jung YH, Park S, Kim JJ (2019) Neural basis of romantic partners’ decisions about participation in leisure activity. Sci Rep 9:14448.
171. Kim HE, Hong YJ, Kyeong S, Kim JJ (2019) Different neural substrates at first impressions of same-sex and opposite-sex faces in women. Neurosci Lett 709:134389.
172. Kim ES, Kim HE, Kim JJ (2020) The neural influence of autobiographical memory related to the parent-child relationship on psychological health in adulthood. PLoS One 15(4): e0231592.
173. Kim J, Jung YH, Shin YB, Kim MK, Eom H, Kim E, Kim J, Kim JJ (2020). Feasibility of a virtual reality-based interactive feedback program for modifying dysfunctional communication: a preliminary study. BMC Psychology 8: 50.
174. Kyeong S, Kim J, Kim J, Kim EJ, Kim HE, Kim JJ (2020) Differences in the modulation of functional connectivity by self-talk tasks between people with low and high life satisfaction. Neuroimage 217: 116929.
175. Oh J, Jang S, Kim H, Kim JJ (2020). Efficacy of mobile app-based interactive cognitive behavioral therapy using a chatbot for panic disorder. Intern J Med Inform 140: 104171.
176. Kim BH, Shin YB, Kyeong S, Lee SK, Kim JJ (2020). Neural basis of ambivalence towards ideal self-image in schizophrenia. Psychiatry Investig 17:452-459.
177. Kwon JH, Hong N, Kim K, Heo J, Kim JJ, Kim E (2020). Feasibility of the virtual reality program in managing test anxiety: A pilot study. Cyberpsychol Behav Soc Netw 23:715-720.
178. Lee N, Kim JJ, Shin YB, Eom H, Kim MK, Kyeong S, Jung YH, Min S, Kwon JH, Kim E (2020). Choice of leisure activities by adolescents and adults with internet gaming disorder: Development and feasibility study of a virtual reality program. JMIR Serious Games 8:e18473.
179. Kim J, Jung YH, Shin YB, Kim MK, Eom H, Kim E, Kim J, Kim JJ (2020). Development and validation of a virtual reality-based training program for promoting subjective well-being. Psychiatry Investig 17:1207-1215.
180. Jang S, Choi J, Oh J, Yeom J, Hong N, Lee N, Kwon JH, Hong J, Kim JJ, Kim E (2021). Use of virtual reality working memory task and functional near-infrared spectroscopy to assess brain hemodynamic responses to methylphenidate in ADHD children. Front Psychiatry 11:564618.
181. Shin YB, Kim JJ, Kim H, Kim SJ, Eom H, Jung YH, Kim E (2021). Managing game-related conflict with parents of young adults with Internet Gaming Disorder: Development and feasibility study of a virtual reality app. JMIR Serious Games 9:e22494.
182. Jeong HS, Lee JH, Kim HE, Kim JJ (2021). Appropriate number of treatment sessions in virtual reality-based individual cognitive behavioral therapy for social anxiety disorder. J Clin Med 10:915.
183. Kwon JH, Kim HE, Kim J, Kim EJ, Kim JJ (2021). Differences in basic psychological needs-related resting-state functional connectivity between individuals with high and low life satisfaction. Neurosci Lett750:135798.
184. Kim BH, Kim HE, Lee JS, Kim JJ (2021). Anhedonia relates to the altered global and local grey matter network properties in schizophrenia. J Clin Med 10:1395.
185. Lee SK, Lee JS, Shin YB, Kim HE, Kim BH, Kim JJ (2021). The relationship between ambivalence, alexithymia, and salience network dysfunction in schizophrenia. Psychiatry Res Neuroimaging 310:111271.
186. Shin YB, Kim H, Kim SJ, Kim JJ (2021) A neural mechanism of the relationship between impulsivity and emotion dysregulation in patients with Internet gaming disorder. Addict Biol 26:e12916.
187. Kim SJ, Kim MK, Shin YB, Kim HE, Kwon JH, Kim JJ (2021). Differences in resting-state functional connectivity according to the level of impulsiveness in patients with internet gaming disorder. J Behav Add10:88-98.
188. Kim J, Kwon JH, Kim J, Kim EJ, Kim HE, Kyeong S, Kim JJ. (2021). The effects of positive or negative self-talk on the alteration of brain functional connectivity by performing cognitive tasks. Sci Rep11(1):14873.
189. Jang S, Kim JJ, Kim SJ, Hong J, Kim S, Kim E. (2021). Mobile app-based chatbot to deliver cognitive behavioral therapy and psychoeducation for adults with attention deficit: A development and feasibility/usability study. Int J Med Inform150:104440.
190. Ahn JS, Yoon JH, Kim JJ, Park JY. (2021). Movement-related potentials associated with motor timing errors as determined by internally cued movement onset. Psychiatry Investig 18(7):670-678.
191. Kim HE, Kwon JH, Kim JJ. (2021). Neural correlates of garment fit and purchase intention in the consumer decision-making process and the influence of product presentation. Front Neurosci 15:609004.
김재진 MD, PhD
연세의대 정신과학교실 / 강남세브란스병원 정신건강의학과 교수
정효석 MD : 연세의대 정신과학교실 / 강남세브란스병원 정신건강의학과 연구강사
김병훈 MD, PhD : 연세의대 정신과학교실 / 강남세브란스병원 정신건강의학과 연구강사
김희선 PhD : 의과학-Neuroscience 전공
홍연주 PhD Candidate : 인지과학 전공
조혜정 PhD Candidate : 의과학- Neuroscience 전공
박보현 MS Candidate : 심리학 전공
박진영 MD, PhD: 연세의대 정신과학교실 교수 (용인세브란스병원)
박해정 PhD: 연세의대 핵의학교실 교수
이승구 MD, PhD: 연세의대 영상의학교실 교수
이정석 MD, PhD: 국민건강보험 일산병원 임상교수
구정훈 PhD: 계명대학교 의공학과 교수
남종호 PhD: 가톨릭대학교 심리학과 교수
윤강준 MD, PhD: 강남베드로병원 병원장
김준형 MD, PhD: 고려대학교 구로병원 정신건강의학과 교수